Jump to a Section
Sign up to receive updates from us.
The Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln
Relevant for grades 9-10
- 29-pg doc
- sample lesson
Why it matters: These exemplar lessons, created by and for teachers, provide clear demonstrations of the CCSS approach to close reading with text-dependent questions.
The sample lessons and assessments include:
- Readings with teacher and student instructions
- Text dependent questions
- Student discussion activities
- Vocabulary and syntax tasks for challenging words and phrases
- Writing-based formative assessments
- Fiction and nonfiction lessons and assessment questions*
- Annotations for teachers
*Not all sample lessons have assessment questions.
Seven simple steps to create your own questions for close analytic reading.
Includes tools for selecting texts that meet the complexity and quality demands of the CCSS.