Our network believes that high academic standards are necessary to provide all students an opportunity to be college- and career-ready. North Carolina Core Advocates is a network of educators who are passionate about high-quality academic opportunities for all students across NC. While many of those involved are classroom teachers, NC Core Advocates also include principals, school board members, nonprofit leaders, university professors and parents of school-age children.
NC Core Advocates are committed to supporting higher academic achievement for all students. Currently, educators in the NC Core Advocates have recognized that some of the biggest opportunities for growth exist in focusing on:
- making mathematical concepts more coherent within and across grade levels
- supporting students as they dig deeper into texts to use evidence in their analysis
Based on these goals, NC Core Advocates have designed and embarked on a campaign:
- Over 70 educators have committed to sharing out what they do in their classrooms this fall. Keep an eye on our webpage, Twitter handle (@NCCoreAdvocates), and webinars to see the work of our amazing educators.
- NC Core Advocates will be attending and participating in the North Carolina ECET2 on October 21st and 22nd.
Who We Are
North Carolina Captain - Joanna Schimizzi
Joanna is a National Board Certified Teacher who has been teaching Biology for 9 years in North Carolina. She became involved with the Common Core State Standards as a way to help make sure Biology students could read the complicated texts and solve complicated math problems that are required of students in college. Her experiences with organizations such as NAATE, America Achieves, NCAE, TMCF, ISKME and the Center for Teaching Quality have helped her see that professionals can advocate for strong students, schools, and communities. She currently works for North Carolina Virtual Public Schools teaching Biology for students with disabilities, but you'll often find her blogging, talking and exploring aspects of the teaching profession. @mrs_schimizzi
NC Core Advocates Math Leadership Team
- Jeff Crayton @JNCTeach06
- Karen McPherson @ncteach
- Josh Hudgins @hudgemath403
- Rolanda Baldwin @rosonthego
- Jessica Garner @jessicacgarner
NC Core Advocates Literacy Leadership Team
- Ted Mueller @muellertheodore
- Amy Steelman @amyann820
- Roxanne Friday @CMSDiscLiteracy
- Laura Mayer @ashecoach
- Dawn Perez @perezdawnh