If you would like to participate in this work, please consider:
What We Do
NC Core Advocates are committed to supporting higher academic achievement for all students. Currently, educators in the NC Core Advocates have recognized that some of the biggest opportunities for growth exist in focusing on:
- making mathematical concepts more coherent within and across grade levels
- supporting students as they dig deeper into texts to use evidence in their analysis
Based on these goals, NC Core Advocates have designed and embarked on a campaign:
- Over 70 educators have committed to sharing out what they do in their classrooms this fall. Keep an eye on our webpage, Twitter handle (@NCCoreAdvocates) and webinars to see the work of our amazing educators.
- NC Core Advocates will be attending and participating in the regional Carolinas ECET2 on October 1st and 2nd. Keep an eye out for #WhyITeach and high quality solutions for school-based problems
Who We Are
North Carolina State Captain: Joanna Schimizzi is a National Board Certified Teacher who has been teaching Biology for 9 years in North Carolina. She became involved with the Common Core State Standards as a way to help make sure Biology students could read the complicated texts and solve complicated math problems that are required of students in college. Her experiences with organizations such as NAATE, America Achieves, NCAE, TMCF, ISKME and the Center for Teaching Quality have helped her see that professionals can advocate for strong students, schools and communities. She currently works for North Carolina Virtual Public Schools teaching Biology for students with disabilities, but you'll often find her blogging, talking and exploring aspects of the teaching profession. @mrs_schimizzi
NC Core Advocates Math Leadership Team
- Jeff Crayton @JNCTeach06
- Karen McPherson @ncteach
- Josh Hudgins @hudgemath403
- Rolanda Baldwin @rosonthego
- Jessica Garner @jessicacgarner
NC Core Advocates Literacy Leadership Team
- Ted Mueller @muellertheodore
- Amy Steelman @amyann820
- Roxanne Friday @CMSDiscLiteracy
- Laura Mayer @ashecoach
- Dawn Perez @perezdawnh
The majority of our NC Core Advocates network is comprised of classroom educators who are using Common Core State Standards in their classroom and have seen dramatic shifts in their students’ abilities. These educators include school, district and state Teachers of the Year. We travel across the nation to collaborate with and lead other educators. We are chosen to develop curriculum for organizations like LearnZillion, Illustrative Math and OER Commons. NC Core Advocates present at local, state and national conferences with organizations such as the College Board, National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, ASCD and NCTM, but at the end of the day, NC Core Advocates call North Carolina’s students their true focus and home.
North Carolina Core Advocates at their 2016 Catalyst Meeting in Greensboro, NC.