Who are Core Advocates?
Core Advocates are educators who hold all different roles, come from different communities, and areas of expertise, and are united around a few key principles. All Core Advocates:
- Believe in the potential of high quality standards grounded in evidence to prepare all students for college and careers;
- Understand and embrace the Shifts in instruction and assessment required by the Common Core;
- Are eager to support their colleagues and communities in understanding and translating the shifts into instructional practice
Where can I find Regional Core Advocates?
Core Advocates live and work all across the country. Starting in 2015, SAP has collaborated closely with Core Advocates in 13 states to launch their own local networks, which are teacher-led and focused on addressing specific standards based challenges, ELA/literacy and mathematics campaigns, in their states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, and Washington state.
What do Core Advocates do?
Student Achievement Partners, in collaboration with educators from across the country, provides robust professional learning to Core Advocates around the Common Core Shifts and teacher leadership. After this learning experience, Core Advocates mobilize in their own schools and communities and engage in opportunities at the national level.
As instructional advocates they lead other educators in their local community in understanding the shifts and sharing aligned practice. Some of the ways Core Advocates support the work:
- Lead professional development sessions and professional learning communities
- Create, refine, and share Common Core resources with the field
- Speak on behalf on the Common Core at conferences and public forums
- Participate in newspaper, radio, and TV interviews
- Host information sessions for parents and community members
- Use social media to share Common Core facts and resources with colleagues and the public
Looking for the latest in Core Advocate news and information?
The Core Advocate network hosts monthly webinars on a variety of issues related to the Common Core and College and Career Ready Standards. Student Achievement Partners also sends a monthly newsletter highlighting the great work of Core Advocates across the country.
View all archived webinars and newsletters.
- How Can I Get Involved?