This mini-assessment is designed to illustrate the standard 3.OA.D.8, which sets an expectation for students to solve two-step word problems using the four operations. This mini-assessment is designed for teachers to use either in the classroom, for self-learning, or in professional development settings to:
- Evaluate students’ understanding of 3.OA.D.8 prior to teaching this material or to check students’ abilities to demonstrate understanding of and to apply these concepts;
- Gain knowledge about assessing applied problem solving at the depth expected at grade 3; and
- Illustrate CCSS-aligned assessment problems.
Making the Shifts
How does this mini-assessment exemplify the instructional Shifts required by CCSSM?
Focus Belongs to the major work of third grade Coherence Builds on problem solving with addition and subtraction (2.OA.A.1) and prepares students for multi-step problem solving (4.OA.A.3) Rigor
Conceptual Understanding: secondary in this mini-assessment
Procedural Skill and Fluency: secondary in this mini-assessment
Application: primary in this mini-assessment
Noteworthy features of this resource
- Includes a variety of item types using the addition and subtraction situations and multiplication and division situations
- Addresses problems with all four operations, including assessing the reasonableness of answers
- Builds upon a problem-solving learning trajectory starting in second grade
As a mini-assessment:
- Allows the teacher to look at students’ solution strategies and plan instruction
- Allows the teacher to evaluate students on their skill with the content in 3.OA.D.8 in order to prepare to teach 3.OA.D.8 or to check student progress after teaching 3.OA.D.8.