This mini-assessment is designed to illustrate aspects of the standard 8.EE.C.7, specifically the expectation that students solve linear equations. This mini-assessment is designed for teachers to use either in the classroom, for self-learning, or in professional development settings to:
- Evaluate students’ progress toward some of the skills described by 8.EE.C.7 in order to prepare to teach this material or to check for student ability with grade-appropriate content;
- Gain knowledge about assessing skills at the depth expected at grade 8; and
- Illustrate CCSS-aligned assessment problems.
Making the Shifts
How does this mini-assessment exemplify the instructional Shifts required by CCSSM?
Focus This mini-assessment attends to focus as it addresses solving and analyzing linear equations, which are key components of the major work of eighth grade Coherence Illustrates content across grades as the question require students to extend their understanding of solving equations.
Conceptual Understanding: secondary in this mini-assessment
Procedural Skill and Fluency: primary in this mini-assessment
Application: not targeted in this mini-assessment
Noteworthy Features of this Resource
- Includes problems with rational numbers as coefficients and solutions
- Offers opportunities for students to use conceptual understanding
As a mini-assessment:
- Allows the teacher to evaluate students on their skills with the content in 8.EE.C.7 in order to prepare to teach or to check student progress after teaching
Is easily altered to allow for repeated use, ensuring that students are gaining adequate practice toward fluency