This grade 5 lesson brings Social, Emotional, and Academic Development (SEAD) themes into the classroom through practice with converting measurement units within a given measurement system (5.MD.A). This task was adapted from Illustrative Mathematics and utilizes the lesson planning template from Stride 3: A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction: Creating Conditions to Thrive.
- Strategies for multilingual learners
- Asset-based approach that builds on existing knowledge
- Multiple pathways to solving problems
- Practice with division of whole numbers leading to fractions in a real-world context
- Integrated connections between SEAD themes and the mathematics of the lesson