This grades 4-5 culturally relevant text set focuses on Black and Native American perspectives during the American Revolution. While designed for grades 4-5, you may choose to adapt it for different grade levels. Please consider leaving feedback on this resource using the “Send Feedback” button at the bottom of the page.
Details about this culturally relevant text set:
- Grade Level Recommendation: 4-5
- Key Focus Areas for Design: Perspectives, Counternarratives
- Topic: This text set is about Black and Native American perspectives during the American Revolution
- Curriculum Connection: This text set can be done as is, but is also suggested as a companion resource for any Grade 4-5 curriculum unit that focuses on the American Revolution, such as:
- Context/rationale/reflections: In this unit, students build knowledge of the American Revolution, which often centers the dominant narrative of Loyalists vs. Patriots in published materials and resources. This narrative typically includes limited African American and Native perspectives (e.g., discussion of the enslavement of African Americans and the colonization of Native land).