What I Work On: I am a Designer who works on all things “literacy-y” - from working alongside educators reimagining culturally relevant instruction, to designing professional learning with state or district teams, or co-creating tools and resources for early literacy.
Why I Work Here: Every day I am reminded that I am part of a team that shares a passion for centering students who have been marginalized, values continuous learning, promotes equitable design, and engages in honest reflection. I am grateful to work alongside brilliant, committed changemakers who are striving towards a more just education system.
My Education and Experience: Prior to joining Student Achievement Partners, Tori worked as an early grades and special education teacher in Brooklyn, NY. She also has experience with teacher innovation grants in a school district outside of Boston, MA. Tori holds a bachelor's degree in Psychology from Colgate University and a master's degree in Elementary Inclusive Education from Teachers College, Columbia University.
More About Me: I’ve always called the North East home, but have settled in beautiful Portland, Maine with my husband and our goofy pup, Zook. You can find us eating our way up the coast or off exploring Maine’s mountains, waters, and woods.
A Quote That Inspires Me: “How are you practicing what you preach—whatever you preach, and who is exactly listening?” — Audre Lorde
Notable Contributions on Achieve the Core:
- Building Knowledge: Expanding the World Through Reading
- Centering Black Brilliance Through Adapting Standards-Aligned Literacy Instruction
- Disrupting the Canon: Moving Towards Anti-Racist Teaching with Text Selection and Preparation
- Early Reading Accelerators
- Foundational Skills (K-2)
- Foundational Skills Observation Tool
- Guidance for Educators Using a Balanced Literacy Program
- Knowledge and Vocabulary (K-2)
- Putting Anti-Racist Literacy Instruction into Practice
- Wonders: Materials Adaptation Project