This culturally relevant text set focuses on building student understanding of the limbic system in the brain and how it’s connected to learning in service of students developing new ideas about themselves as learners. While designed for grades 6-9, you may choose to adapt it for different grade levels. Please consider leaving feedback on this resource using the “Send Feedback” button at the bottom of the page.
Details about this text set:
- Grade Level Recommendation: Grades 6-9
- Key Focus Areas for Design: Identity
- Topic: Expanding students’ understanding of the limbic system in the brain and how it’s connected to learning
- Curriculum Connection: This text set can be done as is, but is also a part of the Launch Module in the Humanities Accelerator Course
- Context/rationale/reflections: This multimodal text set first supports students’ knowledge building about the limbic brain and learning from a scientific perspective. Through art, music and poetry, students are encouraged to extend their thinking about the brain. An additional goal is for students to self-reflect on their own brains and identities as learners.